History of the Liminis Theater Building
The big brick Victorian structure at the corner of Scranton and Brevier is one of the oldest homes in Tremont, having been built by the Kellogg brothers in 1860. It was one of two brick Victorian homes on what was then the Kellogg farm. (The other is just down the block.)
In 1872 the original Kellogg lot began to be subdivided, and in 1873 the house was sold to Taylor Emerson of the Emerson Casket Company. Emerson bought up more lots along Scranton and by 1890 owned several, including this one, which became known as the Emerson Casket Mansion.
In 1911/12 the home was purchased by David and Kate Balind and converted from a single-family dwelling to a six-unit inn with the storefront being added as a general store and tavern. In 1942 the building was bought by George and Marian Nader, who operated the storefront as Nader’s Bar until 1955.
Subsequently, the building continued to be used as apartments and bar through a series of owners. In the 1970’s the Club Juana Diaz moved into the storefront and occupied it until the present owner bought the badly maintained building from an absentee landlord in August 2000. At that time there were two apartments in the rear wing and one on the first floor of the main house, with the second floor being divided into six rooms that rented by the week.
Since then, the present resident owner, and founder of the theatre company, has repaired the exterior, landscaped and remodeled the three apartments in the house portion of the building. The storefront bar underwent major structural and electrical improvements, and in 2002 converted into the theatre performance space now known as the Liminis. The resident theatre company, convergence-continuum, presented its first performance in the Liminis in August of 2002 and is now in its fourteen season in residence. In 2005, the City of Cleveland declared the property an historic landmark.